Vacationing is exciting, but after hours on the road, it can get tedious, and even frustrating. Planning for fun along the way is not only an important part of defeating boredom and keeping moods elevated, this fun can also offer benefits for your aging parents.
Let these ideas inspire you for beneficial on the road fun for an elderly adult during a road trip with your family:
- Play classic road trip games. Games such as naming animals, colors, foods, or other items starting with each letter of the alphabet, looking for numbers and letters on signs and license plates, or playing ‘I Spy’ are great ways to connect your aging parent to your children while also stimulating their memory, observation, and cognitive processing skills.
- Plan your route carefully and look for fun, interesting places to stop along the way. Adding extra time to your drive means being able to take in historical points of interest, see fun tourist spots, or just take extra breaks to walk around rest areas or unique shops. This will stimulate your parent’s mind and also help to reduce the risk of blood clots by keeping them moving during the trip.
- If you are traveling for a very long distance, stop at the Welcome Center for each state and pick up postcards. Filling these out with memories from that stretch of the trip is a great way to connect with friends back home, or to create a unique “scrapbook” of the trip.
- Invest in a trivia book about your destination and ask questions to get your family talking about where you are going, what you’ll be doing, and what they think about the facts. This is great not just for learning the trivia, but for the conversations it can create.
Elder care can be a fantastic way to enhance your aging parent’s quality of life as they age in place. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure they have continued access to the level of care, assistance, and support that is right for them. These care services are specifically designed for your aging parent as an individual. This means they will keep your parent’s needs, challenges, preferences, personality, and goals in mind so they can pursue a lifestyle that is independent, active, and fulfilling while staying healthy and safe. Services can include safe and reliable transportation, assistance with errands such as grocery shopping, help with housekeeping tasks, personal care, and activities of daily living support, meal preparation, medication reminders, companionship, and more.
If you or an loved-one are considering professional elder care in Radnor, PA, talk to Unlimited Staffing Solutions. Specializing in Home and Community Based Support Waiver Services Since 2001. Please Call Us for Your Home Care Needs (215) 447-713
Latest posts by Ed Brown, COO (see all)
- When an Aging Parent Is Moving In, It’s Still a Good Idea to Hire Home Care Aides for Support - July 18, 2018
- Beneficial On the Road Fun for a Road Trip with Your Senior - July 5, 2018
- What Causes Back Spasms? - June 21, 2018